Thursday, February 24, 2011

Trout Fishing 101 - Basics Of Trout Fishing

I have fishing for trout for more than twenty years and in that time have learned some basics that I wish I would have known when I embarked on what could be loosely referred to as my trout fishing "career". In this article I will outline some of these basics, kind of a trout fishing 101 class if you will, so that you can be aware of these facts without having to learn them through trial and error. Knowing these ideas and tips when I began fishing for trout would have saved me a ton of valuable fishing time, which is what I hope learning these ideas will do for you.

Lets begin with the gear that you use, and by gear I'm referring specifically to your rod and reel. The size (referred to as the 'action') of your rod and reel are extremely important and many people make the mistake of using rods and reels that are entirely too heavy when trout fishing. You should make sure that you use an ultralight action rod and reel. The reason for this is that an ultralight rod and reel enable you to use light fishing line effectively, which is the next lesson in our trout fishing 101 class.

When I started trout fishing, more than twenty years ago as I said, I used fishing line that was much too heavy and it cost me bites until I learned this lesson. As you more than likely know, trout are found in clear to very clear water and as you may not know trout have very keen eyesight. This means that trout can easily see your fishing line if the line is thick, and when the trout see your fishing line they tend not to bite your offering. This means that light fishing line is of the essence when it come to fishing for trout and light line means using monofilament or fluorocarbon fishing line that is from two to six pound test.

The next of the basics of trout fishing that I want to outline is the way in which you carry your fishing tackle on the water. Uninitiated trout anglers simply use a tackle box, but this isn't at all the best way to go about carrying your trout fishing gear, especially seeing as how in many instances fishing for trout is done while wading or otherwise working your way up and down a river. The best and most efficient way to carry your tackle on the water is to use a fishing vest. With a fishing vest you can keep all of your trout lures, hooks, extra line, etc. in small plastic boxes and place the boxes into the pockets of the fishing vest. This way you always know right where all of your trout fishing tackle is because it's hanging on back in your fishing vest. You can even add a worm pouch to your vest to carry your trout bait (such as live worms) while you are fishing.

These simple tips, while definitely the "basics of trout fishing", are all things that will save you a ton of time on the water learning through trial and er or and will make you a much more efficient and effective trout fisherman.

No comments:

Post a Comment