Saturday, October 15, 2011

It's All About Angles


It was a chilly early afternoon, somewhere in the fifty degree range, the cloud cover was low, and it seemed as if it might rain at any moment. Not what you might call "ideal" fishing conditions, but when it comes to trout fishing in the fall, the weather was actually quite normal. The river was certainly not crowded, in fact I had it to myself, and as I drift fished, adding split shot sinkers for weight, I glanced over to my right and noticed a large boulder along the bank. Since I had yet to receive any bites, I decided to step up and stand on top of the boulder.

I could suddenly see the hole that I was fishing much better and was getting a much better "drift" because of the angle I was now fishing from. It was much easier to keep my line taught so that I could "feel" my worm. I almost immediately felt bites from and caught 3 small rainbows in the 8-12 inch range. I was feeling good, when on my next cast I felt the familiar fast tug from a heavy fish. I promptly missed it and crouched down holding my head with my hands. I HATE when I miss a nice fish!

I then stepped back on the boulder to change the angle that I was fishing from again, and within two casts felt the heavy pull again. This time I set the hook and the fight was on. I jumped off of the boulder and worked the trout downstream to try to get him out of the heavy current. Within a few minutes I had the 16 inch rainbow landed, revived, and released. A good catch and all because I changed the angle from which I was fishing from.

No comments:

Post a Comment