Sunday, March 18, 2012

Barbless Fishing Hooks?

As the trout fishing season approaches like a runaway freight train, it occurred to me that I don't use barbless fishing hooks nearly as often as I should. I have learned that when when a hook is without barbs, it causes much less damage to the fish that you hook, and thus is less stressful on said fish. This little tidbit of information that I stumbled upon makes sense to me and is something that I am going to do this season.

You see, I don't keep any of the trout that I catch anyway, so causing as little damage to the fish as possible is always something that I am cognizant. So, this season before baiting up I am going to simply take my pliers and pinch down the barbs on my hooks. Does this mean that I will lose alot of trout that I hook during the fight? We shall see, there's only one way that I know of to find out. I'll keep you updated as the season progresses.

If you like to keep a trout or two for dinner that's fine and this idea probably won't make much sense, but for me it makes a lot of sense and is something that I want to test out for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Something for all of us to keep in mind, even though, studies may not agree with yours and my line of thinking.

    ReplyDelete