Sunday, April 29, 2012

Springtime In The Mountains

Yesterday I headed out to my favorite river to do a little trout fishing and as I was driving there I remembered, "you know it was actually quite warm in the early part of the week?" As I looked at the mountains in the distance and saw that they still had alot of snow on them, I thought, "Maybe it will be okay." I was not okay, the run off had no doubt started and the river was extremely high and muddy. In hindsight, I knew better, but It was a decent day weather wise and I figured I'd give drift fishing a shot.

Once I arrived at the river, I figured I'd driven for 40 minutes so why not give it a shot anyway? So that's what I did. The main river was too high to fish, but I was able to find an eddy where it looked like I might be okay. An hour and one eight inch rainbow trout later I "called it a day" and was thankful that I at least got a chance to wet a line and now knew that river fishing is going to be an impossibility in my area for the next two to three months.

But hey, this is how it works during the springtime in the mountains. Now, it's time to do a little trout fishing in the local lakes while the rivers fill and then drain over the next few months. The good thing about this phenomenon is that it makes me look forward to the fall, when fishing for trout in the Northern Rockies really heats up.

No comments:

Post a Comment