Sunday, January 25, 2015

New Twist To Use When Ice Fishing For Trout

I have been ice fishing for rainbow trout for many years, using a variety of baits, ice fishing lures, and strategies, but recently I was introduced to a new twist that has enabled be to experience success on virtually
every ice fishing outing that I have used it on.  Admittedly, this may not be a new concept to you, but for some reason it was to me and is an ice fishing strategy that I will use for the rest of my ice fishing "career".

For years, I have been ice fishing by either using a tip ups, jigging with a single ice fishing lure, or a combination of the two approaches.   Well, a couple of weeks ago I was introduced to the concept of ice fishing with multiple lures on a single line and my catch rates have never been the same.  When the guy who I was fishing next to a couple of weeks ago showed me what he was doing I was intrigued to say the least.  Well, the first thing I thought to myself was, "Of course!  Why in God's name haven't you used this strategy before?", but I digress.

 As my new friend told me, "All you have to do is learn to tie a dropper loop and you're good to go."  Now the number of hooks that you can have on each line will vary depending on where you are fishing, but where I ice fish in Montana the regulations say that you are allowed 2 hooks per line.  In some area's you can have up to 4, so make sure that you check your local regulations.

In any case, by tying a dropper loop onto my line about three to four feet above The heavier of the two ice fishing lures that are being used, I'm able to "cover" more of the water column and the results have been strong to moderately strong.  My "go to" lure that I place on my dropper loop has been a bead head nymph (yes the fly) with a maggot or two baited on the hook.  Below the fly I have been using a small marabou jig, that is also tipped with a maggot or meal worm. 

In any case, the rainbow trout have been falling prey to this "new twist" quite a bit this year and I only wish Montana was a state that allowed another hook or two per line.  A dropper loop is so easy to tie that adding another lure or two would be a cinch, but oh well.  I'm just Happy that I discovered (or was introduced to this strategy) and that I have been able to pass it on.  Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment