Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Lone Bull Trout Is All The River Could Muster

The other day I headed out to the swan river to try to get a little spring fishing in.  I figured that the run off shouldn't be too bad yet, so I packed up all of my trout fishing gear and off I went.  When I got to the river I could see that the water was slightly stained, but fishable, so I was pleased.  I hiked down the embankment to the rivers edge and quickly realized that crossing to the other side would be a challenge to say the least.  Sure, 10 years ago I would have made the trek without a problem, but nowadays I figure that's it's just not worth the risk of falling in.  Hey, what can I say, I'm either getting old or am getting wiser?  In any case, although I am very aware of the fact that fishing this stretch of river from the side that I was on is difficult because of the angles, i began fishing anyway.

Getting a good drift was tough without a doubt, but I pressed on working my way downstream.  I even fished a couple of riffles that I often don't, but I figured that with the higher water, something might be different.  Within a cast or two I realized that it was different as I got a nice bite.  On the next cast I hooked the fish and the fight was on.  I figured it might be a squaw fish (as this is often what is caught in this river when the water is high) but after a decent fight I realized that it was a nice 20 or so inch bull trout. 

I admired her and released the trout and continued downstream.  I fished for another hour or so and only received a couple of more bites.  I'm glad I got to get out and fish this part of the river, because it's more than likely the last time I will until late August or so.  The run off is going to be high this year and much of the river fishing around here will be blown out as they say for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment