Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Attempting To Catch Rainbow Trout With Mini Jigs In High Water & Wind

The other day my daughter and I headed out to my favorite trout river (The Swan River) in search of some rainbow trout. I knew that the weather had been cold and ugly for a day or two, but figured that since on this particular day we had partly cloudy skies that we would be fine. Before I made my first cast I noticed how high the water was.  Then, as my mini jig sailed through the air I noticed how windy it was.  "This might make for a challenging couple of hours", I thought to myself. 

We were fishing at the base of a small dam, so there was some water that was more than "fish-able", even though the rest of the river was very high and muddy.  And although cloudy, the water and current didn't seem too bad in the area that we chose to fish.  After getting snagged a few times using a 1/16 ounce jig head tipped with a Powerbait floating trout worm, I changed my jig head to a smaller 1/32 ounce which eliminated my getting snagged problem.  The problem with doing this was that it became even more difficult for me to cast my offering into the water with any distance, considering the wind.  Not to mention the fact that the only rod I brought fishing on that day was my 5 foot ultralight rod, which doesn't help either when it comes to casting distance. 

In the meantime my daughter was casting and retrieving a small Panther Martin spinner, which was brightly colored due to the murky water conditions.  Within 15 minutes she had landed a small lake trout.  I realize this might sound strange, a lake trout being in a small river like the Swan River, but be were fishing a couple of hundred yards from Flathead Lake.  And Flathead Lake is renowned for it's lake trout population.  You see, at this time of the year when the river is as high as it is, small lake trout will often run up the river in search of an easy meal.

I kept fishing my mini jig and although I wasn't getting hardly any bites from the area's I could reach with my short fishing rod, I did manage to hook and land a lake trout also.  And mine was quite nice, not by lake trout standards mind you, but by the size of the gear I was using.  The one I caught measured almost 24 inches and was quite heavy.  I would guess 5 or so pounds.

Although the rainbow trout weren't cooperating, at least the lake trout did and all in all it was a decent little day on the water.  And since this particular spot was new to me, I got some good reconisence in for the next time, when I guarantee you I will have my seven foot rod, so that I can cast to the really good looking trout water that I couldn't quite reach on this particular day. 

1 comment:

  1. I caught a few lakers in the same area a couple weeks ago! Thibking about heading back up there in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete