Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Inigma That Is Trout Fishing In The Fall

It was most certainly a day for Wristies, with temperatures in the mid-forty's, and it seemed as if it was a great day to fish for trout.  The moon was "in my favor" so to speak seeing as how this was the actual day of the new moon, so everything looked to be coming together for a great day on the river.  As I crossed the river in waste deep water (in this area you have to be on the other side to access the "good holes") I noticed a cold wind blowing directly down the river.

As I reached the first hole it became apparent that the wind was going to be a problem.  You see, the wind is one of the biggest enemies to fishing with ultra light gear, as it makes it all but impossible to "feel" your bait or lure as it drifts through the river.  I continued fishing however, taking advantage of the lulls in the wind that seemed to happen every ten minutes or so, and spent the afternoon fishing.

To make a long, boring story short, three hours and one 10 inch rainbow trout later I decided to call it a day and headed back across the river.   As I stepped out of the water, I took a deep breath, looked around me and said a silent prayer to the trout Gods.  Even through it wasn't what most anglers would call a successful day on the water, to me it was as good as it gets.  Being out in Nature, attempting to catch trout, is all I need to have a successful day.  And besides, it's definitely better than pushing papers around for an entire afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment