Monday, October 24, 2011

Rainbow Trout Love Colder Temperatures

On my early morning runs I had been noticing that it was getting much colder and on this particular day on the river I noticed that the water temperature was noticeably colder than it had been.  I suppose this would make sense seeing as how temperatures have been dropping into they thirties at night, and as I hooked my first rainbow of the day and it jumped and tail walked during the fight, it was apparent that the trout were noticing the cooler temperatures as well.

This was one of those interesting afternoons fishing for trout during the fall.  I was fishing 3 days before the new moon, which is a day or two early to experience the full new moon phenomenon, so I only caught 3 trout.  Two rainbow trout and one bull trout, not a bad day by anyone's estimation.  The largest of the rainbows was only fifteen inches long, but about five inches wide so it gave me quite a "tussle".  This was one of those rainbow trout that I like to call a "football" because of their similarity in shape to that piece of sporting equipment.

The bottom line with all of this is that when rainbow trout begin to experience colder water temperatures they get much more active and begin to fight much harder.   And "jumping" out of the water during the fight only occurs when rainbow trout are highly active.  This is all taking place  right now during the fall of the year.  Have I mentioned that I like fall trout fishing?

No comments:

Post a Comment