Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Real Life Example of The Moon Rise Impacting Trout Fishing

Last week my daughter and I went on a camping trip along the Swan River and had the opportunity to do a little trout fishing while we were there.  Although, truth be told with a 10 year old little girl, trout fishing the way I prefer to fish, is all but impossible for more than a cast or two.  If you have young children, you undoubtedly know what I'm talking about.  But even with this being the case, I was able to "fish" a little bit for about an hour and a half without as much as a nibble. 

I was having a difficult time accepting this, as the area that we were in was fairly remote, and doesn't receive much fishing pressure, when I took a second to look at my watch.  I remembered that the moon was supposed to rise on this particular day at 12:30 pm and I had been fishing from about 8:30-10 am.  We had walked a mile or so upstream to the area of the river that we were, and I said to Cameron, let's take some time to go "frog hunting" (her favorite activity when Dad is attempting to fish) and then I would fish that one good looking stretch on our way back.  She agreed, and that's what we did.

We arrived back at the aforementioned stretch of river at about 12:45 pm and I began to fish the area that I had fished a couple of hours earlier.  In 30 minutes I caught 3 rainbow trout from 10-12 inches, and 1 that was a plump 14 inches.  After the 14 incher, Cameron had had enough and we headed back to camp. 

My point to this little story is that the trout were biting when the moon was rising, and not before this celestial happening was talking place.  It was a real world example of some of the things that we talk about in this blog.  Pay attention to the moon rise and you will catch more trout, it's as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment