Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fall Trout Fishing Is Upon Us

When I got done with my morning run I checked the times when the moon was rising and setting for
the day and found out that neither of these events were going to be "in my favor" on this afternoon.  I knew that the moon was almost full as I saw it when I awoke (yea, I tend to get up a little early) and know from experience that a full moon can be okay for fishing, but a new moon is much better.  I was going to fish a spot on this day that I hadn't been to in a couple of years, one that involves a mile or two hike down a dry creek bed, so I figured, "what the heck, if nothing else it will be good exercise and a beautiful walk" so the preparations for an afternoon fall fishing trip began.

I packed my fishing gear right after I ate lunch and headed out.  It's an hour or so drive to the area where I park and once I arrived there it was a little after twelve noon.  I began the hour or so hike down the creek (which had water in it by the way) and worked my way over and through all of the fallen trees that had obviously emerged due to the high spring run off.  After about a half an hour of walking, the water in the creek dried up and I was hiking through the dry creek bed that I remembered.

While traversing one particularly jumbled maze of fallen trees I managed to have to jump/fall a nice little four foot drop that  caused me to have to throw my fishing rod into the air, which ended up with a broken rod tip. This would have upset me, but I was thankful for the fact that I didn't break my ankle or leg on my little fall, so I proceeded to the river with my fishing rod minus the last eyelet.  

Twenty or so minutes later I arrived at the river, took a ten minute water break and began to fish with my broken fishing rod.  I fished the first hole that I came to (one that I hooked and lost a VERY large rainbow in about 10 years prior) but only managed to catch one little 8 or 9 inch rainbow.  I proceeded to cross the river and work my way downstream.  I then began to fish a great looking stretch of water that was absolutely perfect for drift fishing, which is exactly what I did. 

Within 3 drifts I had hooked and landed 3 more small rainbow trout ranging in size from 9-12 inches.  10 minutes later I hooked and landed a very nice 15 or so incher and was feeling pretty darn good about my day.  I continued to work my way downstream for the next 20 minutes or so only hooking one more fish, which I lost, when something special happened, of which I will discuss in my next post.  The bottom line is thta fall trout fishing is without question here my friends. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment