Saturday, March 22, 2014

I Know Trout Fishing Is Around Here Somewhere

As I finished my usual early morning run, I couldn't help but notoice the fact that it sure felt quite cold.  I mean sure, I was wearing gloves and a beanie and knew that it wasn't warm outside, but when I got inside and checked the temperature, it was 10 degrees!  No wonder it felt cold, that might be because it is?

Christ, wasn't the other day the beginning of spring, at least as far as the calender is concerned? Yep it was, but then again I do reside in Northwest Montana, so  the fact that I would expect anything else is on me for being an idiot.  Oh well, I don't care what the temperature is right now, I know that I will be standing knee deep in the flowing waters of the Swan River, before I know it. 

Not only that, but if past history is any indication the drift fishing should be quite good as well, before the run-off kicks into high gear that is.  The rainbows are normally quite active after a long winter of freezing water temperatures where they tend to feed much less often than they do during warmers conditions.

Once the water begins to rise and muddy due to the run-off, drift fishing with bait slows down considerably, but these same hungry rainbows can usually be caught with flashy spinners or rattling crank baits. Yep, the same kind that you think of when you think of bass fishing, are equally as productive for trout in high and muddy water conditions.  The ruckus that these baits make really give the trout something to hone in on, and they will attack them with reckless abandon. 

In any case, I know if I'm patient, trout fishing is around here somewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment